Here’s the replay of Monday 27 November’s The #SocialMediaShow which was broadcast live via my Facebook Profile from Cardiff, Wales. Facebook announced there was going to be a Community Summit in London in February 2018 plus there were 14 other social media news stories below plus insights in italics including announcements of new features. Plus as usual there’s Headline, Question Time, Tip Of The Week, Tools Talk plus Number of the Week.
The #SocialMediaShow is aimed at people who work on a daily basis with or who are interested in social media and the aim is to increase your knowledge and improve your use of social media. If that sounds like you and you want to keep up on the latest news throughout the week plus get access to insider tips, then join my newsletter subscribers or Facebook Page subscribers.
Headline – This week’s headline that caught my eye was the title of an Infographic created by MicroCreatives which highlighted some marketing trends that are set to dominate in 2018 – Live videos, Influencer marketing, Visualised content, Personalisation, Tightened security and Chatbots.
Top tip – Select your appropriate Facebook Page template by going to Settings/Edit Page.
Tools Talk – Todoist is a great online tool and app for managing tasks – https://en.todoist.com
Number of the week – 252,200. South Korean boy band BTS will enter next year’s Guinness Book of Records for having an average of 252,200 retweets per tweet on Twitter to date.
1. Facebook Communities Summit is coming to London on February 8 and 9, 2018. You can apply for an invite. I hope to go.
2. There’s a new “Create fundraiser” function on charity pages. A great help for supporters and charities alike.
3. The “Create fundraiser” function mentioned above can also be accessed via Support Charity under the Compose a post box.
4. Facebook is testing new ‘mention a friend’ button in Comments. Selecting the button brings up your friends list, which you can then scroll through and tag as appropriate. Not sure this has much benefit. I’d prefer it if FB fixed the existing glitchy tagging feature.
FACEBOOK MESSENGER NEWS
5. 4K image resolution is now supported allowing Messenger users to share more detailed photos.
6. PayPal’s have launched a Messenger extension that adds a new ability to send invoices via Messenger. Looks like this is US only at the moment. Look forward to it being available in the UK.
7. Borrowing once again from Snap Streaks, Facebook is testing Messenger Streaks which reminds people to message again once they’ve messaged friends a number of days in a row. Irritating rather than useful.
8. Instagram are testing starred messages that you can follow-up later. Handy.
9. Viewers can now send a request to join Instagram Live. Will this function also be coming to Facebook Live?
10. Previously mentioned in The #SocialMediaShow, the Resume Assistant is now available in Word for those on the Office Insider program (apply here to join). An option to switch off and on is also now available in LinkedIn settings.
11. Twitter is testing embedded tweets without Like and Retweet buttons. Odd choice to remove useful functionality but not the first strange decision Twitter have made.
12. Twitter is testing a terminology change trying ‘Talking about this’ in place of Reply.
13. Twitter is testing vertical scrolling on Twitter Moments (Stories for Twitter) for apps. This would makes it consistent with the rest of Twitter although different from Stories from Facebook and Instagram stories which scroll horizontally.
14. Twitter is testing a tweetstorm feature which allows you to publish several tweets at the same time. Of no interest to me.
15. A ‘Save later’ feature is definitely coming and will be called…Bookmarks. Should prove useful.
Was this tweet a mistake by McDonalds or guerilla marketing? In any event it worked for them.
Black Friday **** Need copy and link****
— McDonald’s (@McDonaldsCorp) November 24, 2017
My favourite reply was from Wendy’s.
When the tweets are as broken as the ice cream machine. https://t.co/esdndK1iFm
— Wendy’s (@Wendys) November 24, 2017
Upcoming social media courses at the No1 Business Centre in Gloucester
Questions? Need help with social media?
For more information about how we can help with your social media efforts including other social media training options please call me, Jonathan, on 029 2078 9139. Alternatively you can email, tweet or message via Facebook. To receive a weekly reminder about The #SocialMediaShow, click the Send to Messenger button below: