Here’s the replay of Monday 29 January’s The #SocialMediaShow which was broadcast live via my Facebook Profile from Cardiff. I cover the week’s social media news including being able to send money via Facebook Messenger plus plus Headline, Question Time, Tools Talk,Tip Of The Week, Number of the Week and Word of the Week.
The #SocialMediaShow is aimed at people who work on a daily basis with or who are interested in social media. It’s purpose is to increase knowledge and improve use of social media. If that sounds like you and you want to keep up on the latest news throughout the week plus get access to insider tips, then join my newsletter subscribers or Facebook Messenger subscribers.
The show notes below contain relevant links mentioned in The #SocialMediaShow.
Headline: The Follower Factory in the New York Times revealed that James Cracknell, Paul Hollywood and Martha Lane-Fox have all bought followers on Twitter. A well researched article and a fascinating read.
Question Time: What features would you like to see on Facebook? Please post your answer in the Comments below.
Tools Talk: Quickbooks – online accounting app.
Tip Of The Week: Use WhatsApp Groups for communications…just like the Royals!
Number of the Week: 90% of the top 100 brands in the world have an Instagram presence.
Word of the Week: Retargeting – According to Hubspot, retargeting is an online marketing and advertising technique that allows marketers to display ads to people who have visited their website or are part of their contacts database.
1. Some users are reporting that putting in a web address into Facebook Comments results in a link to the relevant Facebook Page not the website – thanks to Richard Kean of omega3design for this one.
2. Stories on desktop – Facebook is testing the option to create and share stories from Facebook on the desktop, plus displaying them in a much more prominent placement at the top of the news feed instead of the top of the sidebar.
3. A Quiet Mode button that allows videos to continue playing without comments and reactions to the video on the desktop and mobile apps is under development and it.
4. Facebook is testing a new post feature called List that allows users to create a numbered list with a title. Facebook also offers suggestions on types of lists to create such as “My goals for 2018” and “My lifetime bucket list”.
5. Facebook has unveiled a training programme for small businesses across Europe.
6. Facebook is testing Live videos ‘Live Rewind’ feature.
7. Facebook is also testing playing videos at different speed, just as you can on YouTube.
8. FB is getting ready for GDPR and has today published its Privacy Principles for the first time and will roll out educational videos to help users control who has access to their information.
9. A Facebook outage last week meant that the app was inaccessible for many on Wednesday and Thursday.
10. BBC News on Facebook are now asking people to select ‘See First’ to ensure that their content continues to appear in the News Feed.
FACEBOOK MESSENGER NEWS
11. You can now send money to other people via Facebook Messenger. It’s an easy process to add payment card and send cash to friends and family plus perhaps businesses. Once you’ve added your payment card you’ll be all set for Facebook Shopping.
My Facebook workshop next month on 22 February will cover all the above and more – Facebook Masterclass (Gloucester) – 22 February 2018
12. Instagram has introduced GIF Stickers. Watch out for those flying cheeseburgers!
13. Coming soon! The ability to upload photos and videos of any size to stories. According to Instagram, photos and videos can now be shown as a square, portrait, or landscape and any extra room will be filled with a custom color gradient that matches the content that has been shared.
14. Instagram is testing the display of ‘profile visits in the last 7 days’ information. Perhaps it got the idea from LinkedIn?
I have 2 Instagram Workshops coming up in Cheltenham and Cardiff – How to grow your business with Instagram with Kat Shayler (Cheltenham) – 15 February 2018 plus How to create your Instagram persona with Jonathan Pollinger and Peter Morgan (Cardiff) – 6 March 2018
15. BIG emojis are enabled in latest ioS release.
16. Stickers are now available in latest ioS version including some Instagram stickers.
17. Verified business accounts are starting to appear eg the Facebook business account.
18. There was an Instagram outage on Wed and Thursday last week.
20. Twitter testing a ‘camera first’ function in the style of Snapchat.
21. Twitter is rolling out a new tool powered by machine learning that crops pictures on tweets to feature the more interesting parts of the images.
22. Last Monday mentioned a rumour that Anthony Noto, Chief Operations Officer was leaving. His departure has now been announced.
19. 2 weeks ago I announced that there were lots of Group improvements coming to LinkedIn. LinkedIn has since notified group admins and moderators that they are launching real-time alerts for likes, comments, and @mentions on Groups within the Notifications tab on the LinkedIn website and Android and ioS apps.
New to LinkedIn? Attend my January workshop with Louise Jenner – How to grow your business with LinkedIn with Jonathan Pollinger and Louise Jenner (Gloucester) – 30 January 2018. Been to a previous workshop? Attend the February ‘follow-up’ – LinkedIn ‘Follow-up’ Workshop with Jonathan Pollinger and Louise Jenner (Gloucester) – 27 February 2018
SOCIAL ADVERTISING NEWS
23. Facebook us launching a new Test and Learn tool – Under the Measure and Report section of Facebook’s Business Manager, there’s a new Test and Learn tool that allows admins “to easily create advertising tests that help [them] find the strategies that work best for [their] business.”
24. Facebook now asks what marketers’ goals are when they boost a post. 2 options – either “get likes, comments, and shares” or “engage and chat with potential customers.” Wot no clicks?
25. Date Comparison is launching soon and not before time. The tool compares results from two different date ranges in the Ads Manager table, and the ability to see creative performance across all of your ad sets at once with Creative Reporting.
26. Twitter are launching Sponsored Moments. Two example are from Bank Of America and Bloomberg.
LinkedIn has revealed its 2017 Top 10 Global Buzzwords – words that appeared most in LinkedIn Profiles.
The only upcoming social media course I haven’t mentioned above is Social Media Essentials with Jonathan Pollinger (Gloucester) – 6 February 2018. Join me for an overview of the latest social media trends and how to upskill your use of Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest – great value!
Questions? Need help with social media?
For more information about how we can help with your social media efforts including other social media training options please call me, Jonathan, on 029 2078 9139. Alternatively you can email, tweet or try my robot Artificially Intelligent assistant Henry using the button at the bottom right of your screen.